Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Marienburg Castle

Today is a German national holiday celebrating the final unification of East and West Germany. I spent the day with my host family. We began the morning with a delicious breakfast, followed by a visit to the GORGEOUS Marienburg Castle (Schloss Marienburg). It is located in Lower Saxony, south of Hannover. The castle was constructed in 1858 as a birthday present from King George V to his wife, Marie of Saxe-Altenburg, for her 40th birthday. It was my first visit to a castle! I even took 2 guided tours- one that went through the main rooms of the castle, while the other took me to the very top tower with an incredible view.

The castle can still be used today as an event location for weddings, receptions, and even concerts. How nice is that?! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment