Monday, October 8, 2012

Back to Hamburg for the Day

On Saturday, my friends Tania, Jeff, Juliana, and I went to Hamburg for the day. Tania and Julie hadn't been yet, and there were still more things that I had not seen (it's the second largest city in Germany). It was raining pretty hard at first, so we decided to go to Kunsthalle, which is the main art museum in the city. It was BEAUTIFUL. I have grown quite the appreciate for art here.


The inside of the museum was divided into different areas such as Renaissance/Medieval works, modern art, sculpture, and even old coin collections. We really had fun with the mirrors in the coin exhibit...



 By the time we left the museum it was bright and sunny! I was really happy I was able to visit the art museum because I couldn't last time. I hadn't visited the sites on the water either, so we decided to take advantage of the weather and head over to Binnenalster, the small lake. There was a pretty fountain in the middle and we got to see some great views of the city!


I had already seen the Rathaus, but Tania and Juli hadn't. I didn't mind going again because it is GORGEOUS. As I mentioned in a previous post, the architecture dates back to the Renaissance. We even got the opportunity to go inside the Rathaus, which I was not able to do last time either. We spent a while there admiring the architecture on this now beautiful, sunny day.




Next we made our way to the old St. Nikolai Kirche (which I had also seen, but again everything is so pretty that you need to go twice). Afterwards, we walked about a kilometer or two to the oldest part of Hamburg. The Deichstrasse is one of the few surviving streets in the old town:






We were getting pretty hungry at this point, and last time I was here Jeff and I had found a delicious looking "Texas American Barbeque" restaurant on Reeperbahn. So guess where we went back to? ;) It was not nearly as bad as last time because most of the men were inside the bars watching the football game that was on. And we found the barbeque place! It was magnificent! We had not had any food like that since before we all left for Germany. It was definitely a great way to end the day.






I have an exciting trip somewhere this week and every week for the remainder of October, so stay tuned :)

As for Hamburg, I'll be back again for the Christmas Market!


No comments:

Post a Comment