Monday, September 10, 2012

Excursion to Helgoland

Hi Everyone,

I know I haven't written in a while- last week was the first week that classes began. There was a lot of running around and organizing to be done, but in a couple of weeks I think I will be in the swing of things. This week is the first "real" week of classes, right before the add/drop period.

Over the weekend I went on an excursion to the German island Helgoland (also known as Heligoland). It is an island 31 miles off the coast of Germany in the North Sea. Wellesley was incredible by paying for the entire trip! Thank you! It was one of the excursion trips part of the "German Politics and Culture Course" for the Visiting/Exchange students.

We left for Helgoland very early Friday morning. Our first stop was in Bremerhaven, where we took the ferry to Helgoland. The ferry ride was 3 hours long- I wished it was shorter because I got terrible seasickness. The weather was bad and the waves were choppy, so the ferry was rocking constantly...I don't even want to think about it- that's how nauseous I was. However, once we finally reached the island I felt much better. The air in Helgoland was so fresh- you actually wanted to breathe in as much air as you could.


Helgoland has a rich history and is known for its gorgeous red cliffs. It is a quiet island and there aren't any cars. The islanders make their living through their little shops, shipping ports, and tourism. This was the view outside my hostel window:

                                              A good morning indeed! Or, as the locals say, "Moin!"

Here is a little piece of history to share: During WWII, Helgoland was bombed by the British on April 18, 1945. 6700 tons of bombs were dropped on this little island in under 2 hours, forever changing the island's shape. Some parts of the island look like moon craters as a result of the bombings. As a result, the locals were forced to seek refuge and ultimately evacuate. This was one of the largest non-nuclear detonations in history. Our group was lucky enough to be able to explore the WWII bunkers- they were very creepy!

 

 Could you imagine living down here while bombs were going off above your head?! I don't think I could have...

As I mentioned before, Helgoland has some gorgeous red cliffs. The most famous is Lange Anna, which split from the mainland. The view from the top of the cliffs is breathtaking. The North Sea surrounds the island, and from way up high you can make out the crystal clear water and endless sky.


...just wow. On Saturday we took a little boat ride to Helgoland's other island, Düne Süd. This smaller island is known for its beaches and seal population! I was so excited that I got to observe seals for a few hours...and relax on the beaches. We had such great weather!! I felt like I was in Heaven. Being a psychology major, Abraham Maslow would certainly acknowledge that I had a peak experience and am well on my way to self-actualizing :)

 

 There were some beautiful rocks to collect along the shore lines too. Helgoland is also known for its large amber content, so I definitely kept an eye out for any amber. Unfortunately I didn't find any, but everything was so pretty in its own way that I didn't mind at all.

Admiring beaches and cliffs were not the only activities on the island. Helgoland has lots of little restaurants and shops. Almost every shop had TONS of candy and chocolate. I found one store that had a jar of Nutella the size of my head!

                                                          ......I wasn't kidding. It cost 40 euros.

I had a wonderful time in Helgoland. When else during my life would I have the opportunity to spend a few days on a secluded German island? I was surrounded by gorgeous gardens and wild grasses, natural wildlife, and berries you can eat right from the bushes. I learned so much about the island's history and unique culture. I plan on coming back one day...and watching the sunset again from the top of a cliff.





2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great trip, Katie! Thanks so much for sharing this experience!
    Jennifer T-S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun fun!! Those cliffs look beautiful. Definitely going on my list of things to see.

    ReplyDelete